Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The death of non-regulated ISPs?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:35:30 -0500

BTW I agree. I use T-Mobile after suffering with ATT Wireless

Begin forwarded message:

From: gep2 () terabites com
Date: February 15, 2007 12:01:55 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: The death of non-regulated ISPs?

Cingular has a better network, but they have aggressively bad customer service. T-mobile's network isn't as good, but their service is recognized as quite good.

Which is the market leader? Why?

Well, one of my housemates (who drives 18-wheelers longhaul nowadays) got a rude shock when his Cingular bill came for some $1500... it seems that he spent about four days in Canada that month, and Cingular was charging him (without warning) about $300 PER DAY for his wireless Internet access (although he had an "unlimited nationwide" plan). Of course, it might have been reasonable if they had charged him (say) three or four times the differential between his plan and an "Unlimited US/Canada" plan, for that month, but instead they wanted the whole (outrageous) amount and wouldn't budge.

They ended up losing a customer who probably would have been with them for the next 40 years, AND they're going to have a VERY long wait for the money. Cingular will also NEVER get my business, either, (or that of most of our friends) as a result. It's hard to imagine the management thinking that results in stupid policies that are so customer-hostile.

And that's one of the reasons why T-Mobile gains customers that Cingular loses. (It's hard to imagine ANYBODY moving the OTHER direction...!)

Gordon Peterson
http://personal.terabites.com
1977-2007  Thirty year anniversary of local area networking

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now