Interesting People mailing list archives

The death of non-regulated ISPs?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:53:39 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rodney Joffe <rjoffe () centergate com>
Date: February 13, 2007 4:39:07 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: The death of non-regulated ISPs?

Hello Dave,

For IP if you wish.

I think I finally have to admit that the smaller traditional ISPs have reached rock-bottom with respect to customer service and support. And if I (slightly more clueful and persistent than most of the mass market) am not able to force my way through a problem, I don't know how we expect the mass market users to do anything other than roll over and be abused.

I have had a Blackberry 957 for a number of years. I have 2 modern cellphones, and a Blackberry 8700, but over the years I have kept my 957 because it is still the only device that works all over the country, in rural areas as well as urban ones, and when I am flying (general aviation). It uses the old Mobitex RAM wireless network. And it has been extremely reliable.

I got mine through Earthlink, and for 5 years now I have religiously paid my $49.95 - $69.95 a month, as their pricing has fluctuated. Its been worth it, just to make sure I got the urgent mail I've needed from time-to-time. Over the years I have had to replace the device twice, each time forking over almost $500 to Earthlink, because the batteries are not easily changeable. And besides, some keys have worn out.

Then 3 weeks ago, my 957 failed. It began getting network registration errors, and kept displaying the ominous "!Network acces denied." message. And the Blackberry then automatically turned its transmitter section off.

Here's where the offshore support blackhole comes in to play:

I have now called the support number daily for 3 weeks. Literally. Every session, I reach an incredibly courteous foreign-accented support agent, who apologizes profusely to me for the inconvenience, puts me on hold for 3-4 minutes at a time for the duration of each call (average now 58 minutes) as they "consult" then return with precisely the same suggestions, and then assure me that they have now escalated my case to third level support, who will call me within 24-48 hours.

I have never had a return call.

When I have asked to talk to a supervisor, I have been told, on every occasion, that there is no supervisor for me to talk to. All extremely politely.

Better still, each week, the support agent has created a brand new "case" number as part of the escalation. So I now have 3 different case numbers.

So I decided to go the email route.

Every publicly identifiable support or technical role email address I have found has bounced the email with directions to submit requests via the website.

I have done this each time.

No response.

So I started attempting to reach someone via the US based corporate numbers.

No surprise, I have been transferred to the same support lines, manned by apparently the same support folks, with the same courteous blow-off. Attempts to reach someone who cares within Earthlink have been singularly unsuccessful.

I am loath to waste a $500 device which is seemingly branded to and tied to Earthlink. But it appears that I may have no choice.

Earthlink seemed to be one of the more professional, stable ISPs, despite their occasional market missteps. And when they reach the point that they can survive by creating an impervious support barrier that takes care of run-of-the-mill problems, but ignores unusual problems to the point that THEY have spent 14 hours of toll-free time, with a log of a 3 week old problem, and they cannot be bothered to solve it, I have to wonder if there is a future for an unregulated provider of ISP services.

When I have had issues with connectivity with traditional facilities based providers, I have had the option of enlisting the assistance of state and federal regulators. It would be a pity if this noose was forced around all of the smaller providers. And voting with one's feet and pocketbook is sometimes not an option.

Googling indicates that my situation is not isolated.

What does the future hold for users, with respect to providers?

Regards
Rodney
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.
http://www.centergate.com
"Technology so advanced, even we don't understand it!"(R)

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now