Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Skype asks FCC to open up cellular networks

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:26:08 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: February 26, 2007 1:40:01 PM JST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Skype asks FCC to open up cellular networks

Brett Glass's argument is the most amazing absurdity I have heard of in a long time!

"Robbing" the network provider? Get real. An end-user node sends bits to another end-user node, under the control of a program that each end user chose to run - that's not robbery, that's the service his customers pay for.

Skype does nothing magic here. If you "call somebody" on your Skype connection, the bits sent are (strangely and wonderfully) exactly those bits needed to send your voice to his machine.

Brett's customers have been slaves to his paranoia for far too long. If he has any customers left (a fact that his demeanor and ridiculous anti-customer behavior leads me to doubt).

Begin forwarded message: