Interesting People mailing list archives

Federal privacy panel leader resigns, raps standards

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:14:00 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Malin, Bradley A" <b.malin () Vanderbilt Edu>
Date: February 23, 2007 11:05:51 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Federal privacy panel leader resigns, raps standards

Dave, this is yet another blow to the development of a national health information infrastructure.

-brad

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/story.cms?id=6553

Federal privacy panel leader resigns, raps standards
Healthcare IT News
By Diana Manos, Senior Editor
02/22/07

WASHINGTON - The leader of a federal panel charged with providing privacy recommendations for the national health information network resigned Wednesday, thwarted, he said, in efforts to develop adequate standards.

The resignation comes amid complaints from others about the speed with which standards are being written.

Paul Feldman, deputy director of the nonprofit Health Privacy Project, stepped down from his position as co-chair of the American Health Information Community's Confidentiality, Privacy, and Security Workgroup, created in May 2006.

In a letter sent Wednesday to 15 members of Congress, Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt and HHS Interim National Coordinator for Health Information Technology Robert Kolodner, Feldman said the workgroup's efforts to establish standards for the nation's developing healthcare IT network, are "a far cry from a comprehensive and timely approach that would give privacy policy equal and necessary footing with interoperability and systems development efforts."

Janlori Goldman, director of the Health Privacy Project, also signed the letter.

"We already know that the majority of people in this country fear that their health information is more prone to misuse in electronic form," Feldman said. "We must not shirk our duty to protect them from such harm."

<snip>

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now