Interesting People mailing list archives

Keyword advertising redux

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:58:15 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Levy <PLEVY () citizen org>
Date: February 22, 2007 6:11:49 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Keyword advertising redux

Regarding Whit McNamara's comments, I would tend to agree that the Lennar case is a sideshow relative to the larger issue of how trademark law treats the more normal course of keyword advertising in the commercial context, which was the issue in JG Wentworth.

In that regard, the issue of commercial keyword advertising is now pending before the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, because Rescuecom appealed the dismissal of its complaint against Google based on Google's defense that keyword advertising does not "use" trademarks in the sense required for liability under the Lanham Act. The trial court decision relied on the Second Circuit's ruling back in 2005 in the When-U case , holding that pop-up advertisers are not engaged in "trademark use."

Several groups filed amicus curiae briefs today supporting Google's position in one way or another. Ours is on our web site at http:// www.citizen.org/documents/rescuecomamicus.pdf Eric Goldman and Stacey Dogan wrote a brief on behalf of a group of trademark law professors, available at http://claranet.scu.edu/ tempfiles/tmp31118/ rescuecom_v_google_law_profs_amicus_brief_as_filed.pdf

EFF filed a brief too, I assume it will be up on their web site soon. There is also to be an amicus brief filed on behalf of several technology companies, which I have not yet seen.

Eric Goldman has indicated that he plans to post all of the amicus briefs in the case sometime next week, I assume it they will go up on his blog, http://blog.ericgoldman.org/.

Begin forwarded message: