Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Stupidity Meets Overreaction in Beantown Bomb Scare

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:28:20 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kent Quirk <kent_quirk () cognitoy com>
Date: February 1, 2007 8:51:23 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Stupidity Meets Overreaction in Beantown Bomb Scare

Dave:

(for IP, if you wish)

I usually agree -- often enthusiastically -- with Lauren's commentary.

And in the case of the Beantown "Bombs", I definitely agree that the Boston authorities overreacted, in a big way.

But I'd really like to disagree with his characterization of the Cartoon Network folks as "misguided at the very least", and "irresponsible" with "absolutely no excuse". This was creative and harmless street theater, designed to get a little attention in an increasingly crowded media space.

If the police have a proclivity toward identifying every device with LEDs and a battery as a bomb, the solution is not to avoid all such devices. The limit of that curve takes out everything from cell phones to calculators, and it also implies that no one should be permitted to build their own electronics, or experiment with robots, or indulge in any form of street theater or art.

To anyone under the age of 30 (and many of the rest of us), the object in question was clearly a bunch of colored LEDs arranged in a pattern designed to mildly offend those who are humor-impaired, and even if you couldn't identify the character you might be intrigued enough to go read Boing Boing and see if there was something up there about them.

This was a huge example of the generation gap and culture gap -- but just because some fraction of our population has spent the last six years shivering in fear doesn't mean that they should be permitted to control art, theater, tinkering, and all forms of public speech and thought.

The "authorities" were wrong on this one, and the right answer is not to excuse their behavior. I'd like to laugh loudly and point until they slink away in embarrassment, except that they're in the process of ruining the lives of some individuals while trying to justify their response.

   Kent

--
Kent Quirk           I'm making a game about global warming.
Game Architect                        Track the progress at:

Archives: http://archives.listbox.com/247/