Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Stupidity Meets Overreaction in Beantown Bomb Scare

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 17:22:26 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: h_bray () globe com
Date: February 2, 2007 5:13:33 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Stupidity Meets Overreaction in Beantown Bomb Scare

Mac Daniel of the Boston Globe explains that there was good reason for local cops to react more aggressively than police in other cities...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/02/02/ device_location_was_factor_in_reaction/

Excerpt:

In six of the nine other cities where the Turner Broadcasting System guerrilla ads were installed, they were not placed on or near major highways, bridges, or transit hubs, as they were in Boston.

Law enforcement officials in other cities and in Boston said yesterday that the difference helps to explain the vastly different responses. While no one had reported the magnetic lighted signs as suspicious in the other cities, they caused a bomb scare that paralyzed parts of the Boston region for much of Wednesday. "I think Boston reacted the way they did because someone noticed the devices and rightly thought that they might be dangerous," Atlanta Police spokesman Joe Cobb said in a telephone interview. "I would think that we would have reacted similarly."

And one other thing: Why did Bostonians suddenly freak out on Wednesday, when the signs had been up for weeks? Because they hadn't been...

Berdovsky told police that late Monday and early Tuesday he and the other man charged, Sean Stevens, put up 18 of the signs.

It's not clear if these were the signs that were spotted by worried citizens. But if they were, the Boston reaction suddenly makes a good deal of sense.

Hiawatha Bray

Archives: http://archives.listbox.com/247/