Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Rude TSA personnel; uneven liquids policies

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:28:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Huggins <jhuggins () kettering edu>
Date: October 17, 2006 9:55:19 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: more on Rude TSA personnel; uneven liquids policies

      "Travelers may now carry through security checkpoints
      travel-size toiletries (3 ounces or less)travel-size
      toiletries (3 ounces or less)..."

Serge Egelman was carrying 3 oz or less and the TSA employee agreed
with that assessment.

With all due respect, given the general innumeracy of the population, I
don't want to start getting into debates with TSA officials as to whether
or not the actual quantity of a given substance is 3 ounces or yes.

        "But officer, you can clearly see that the tube of toothpaste
         is labeled as 11 ounces, and since I clearly have only one-fourth
         of the tube left, I only have 11/4 = 2.75 ounces, which fits
         within the three ounce limit."

People on this thread are complaining about the consistency of TSA
employees and enforcement of the rules.  The simplest way to consistency
is to have rules that don't have to be interpreted.  Reading the size on
the bottle is simple and consistent. It may not reflect the spirit of the
rule, but it's unamiguous.

(And this is completely independent, of course, of any discussion on
whether the TSA rules make sense or not.)