Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Rude TSA personnel; uneven liquids policies

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:54:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Serge Egelman <egelman () cs cmu edu>
Date: October 16, 2006 9:52:44 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Rude TSA personnel; uneven liquids policies

I just flew to NYC last week to visit my sister for the weekend.  Going
through the Pittsburgh airport, I was told that I had too much
toothpaste.  I told the agent that I was under the impression that we
were allowed 3oz.  He said that was correct, but my toothpaste tube
clearly says 6oz on it.  I explained that since the tube is less than
half full, I am clearly in compliance.  He said something like, "I
understand your position, but the tube says 6oz."  "But it's less than
half full."  "It says 6oz on it."  "Okay, using your powers of
reasoning, what volume of toothpaste would you say currently remains in
this tube?"  "Less than 3oz."  "So then I'm in compliance."  "No sir,
the tube says 6oz."

I gather that from this line of reasoning that you can bring any volume
of liquid as long as it's labeled as 3oz.  The robots apparently won't
have problems with that.

serge

Begin forwarded message: