Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The so-called Apple music monopoly

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:49:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robbert Haarman <interesting-people () inglorion net>
Date: May 23, 2006 12:46:36 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on The so-called Apple music monopoly

Dave,

I would like to share a different point of view on the online digital
music sales issue. Please forward this message to IP.

A few people have stated the view that there is an effective monopoly or
duopoly in the online music market, because mainstream music can only be
obtained in proprietary, DRM-protected formats that can only be played
using Apple's or Microsoft's technology. From what I read, I get the
impression that either the providers of the technology (Apple and
Microsoft), or the record labels, or perhaps both are being blamed for
the situation.

It is clearly the case that Microsoft and Apple provide, and supposedly
make money off, the used proprietary file formats. It's also certainly
true that the record labels seem to license their music only for sale in
these proprietary formats. However, let's not forget that the record
industry wouldn't have the rights to the music if the creators of the
music hadn't sold said rights to the music industry. Certainly there are
other ways; there is a lot of independent music being produced that can
legally be downloaded in non-DRM digital formats. Still, many mainstream
artists seem to be content with the way things are being done. And if
they want their creations to be sold only in DRM-ed formats, that choice
is theirs to make, right?

As a consumer, you do have choice. You can play along and pay for
mainstream music in one of the DRM-ed formats it's being offered in. You
can wait for special offers where you can get a number of songs for
free, or without DRM restrictions. You can get the mainstream music in a
non-DRM format by ripping it off a CD that you bought. You can opt to
only download music that is available in non-DRM formats. Or you can
move to a country where downloading music being offered on the 'net is
legal, regardless of how it got there. Finally, of course, you can break
the law.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't be happier if all music were available
for download in open, non-DRM formats; I am saying that consumers _do_
have choice, and that if you want to point fingers, you should look
further than Apple, Microsoft, and the record labels.

Regards,

Bob

---
Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio, replied: "You see, wire
telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New
York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this?
And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they
receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."