Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The so-called Apple music monopoly

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:39:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Pakman <david () dimensionalassociates com>
Date: May 23, 2006 9:31:40 AM EDT
To: Tom Goltz <tgoltz () QuietSoftware com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on The so-called Apple music monopoly

Tom,

It is a colloquialism in the digital music world to refer to those music
files delivered online as "digital" and music sold on CD as "physical".
While your point is factually accurate, the thread to which my note
referred clearly is a discussion about files delivered online.

Your presupposition that consumers who want to buy their music online
(rather than buy a physical good and have to convert to a digital file)
are simply lazy is not a business-person's view of consumer behavior. It
also ignores the facts: during the five years the major music industry
did not offer music for sale digitally online (but only on CD), it
allowed a festering spec of pirate activity to turn into the largest
means of accessing digital music. Consumers clearly demand access to
music delivered online and should not be remanded to buy a physical good
when the digital one can be delivered far more conveniently and
efficiently. Where there is demand, market forces require supply to
meet.

I do not support the activities of the four major labels. I believe
their DRM requirement both takes away legitimate fair use and creates
monopolistic ecosystems which benefit only the owner of the DRM format.
The "market" we are discussing here is the market for music delivered
digitally online. There is no dispute today that the only way to
legitimately buy a digital file online from the four majors and play it
on your iPod is to buy from Apple. Apple holds this monopoly today.

David

david pakman / president & ceo
managing director, dimensional associates, Inc.
david () dimensionalassociates com

emusic / Number 1 site for independent music
http://www.emusic.com/browse/new.html

t (+1) 212.201.9210 / f (+1) 212.201.9202 / m (+1) 917.597.1855
100 park ave / 17th fl / new york / ny / 10017