Interesting People mailing list archives

More on Apple "monopoly"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:47:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ole Jacobsen <ole () cisco com>
Date: May 23, 2006 12:43:47 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: More on Apple "monopoly"

Dave,

Perhaps a clarification is in order:

I am not "defending" Apple. I am just pointing out that most of the press articles *imply* that you can only get music onto your iPod by purchasing
it from Apple. This is simply not correct. In fact, the iPod existed for
at least 2 years before there was any music to be had from Apple. The iPod "revolution" did not happen because of the Apple Music Store. The tagline
used to be "RIP, Mix, Burn" remember?

So Apple went ahead and struck deals with the 4 major labels, something
any savvy business entity could have done. And presumably fearing illegal
copying, Apple added a proprietary DRM scheme. This sounds like a smart
business decision to me.

Ironically, Sony who should have taken the lead in this area given their
history and record label, completely missed the boat.

Of course, over time, as a consumer, I would hope that the industry could
come up with a COMMON DRM scheme, perhaps Apple will be dragged kicking
and screaming into such. Yes, consumer choice is a good thing, and I agree
that Apple should help, but it's relatively speaking early days yet.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole () cisco com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj