Interesting People mailing list archives

more on 2 comments on cell phones in the air

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 16:40:12 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [IP] more on 2 comments on cell phones in the air
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 16:52:52 +0000
From: Denis Russell <D.M.Russell () ncl ac uk>
To: dave () farber net
<ADB14630-F7F2-43D6-84EB-94217EB752AA () farber net>

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Andrew D. Swart" <andrew () swart com>
Date: March 6, 2006 3:39:25 AM EST

 and fewer concerns that an innocently
overlooked device could harm us.

Dave,
        Though I am dubious about the actual danger that is posed by
cellphones in planes, I always dutifully turn mine off when
requested. However, on occasion I have found mine on when preparing
to disembark. Of course this can sometimes be forgetfulness on my
part (but we are all human and fallible - ref Don Norman). However,
there is another probable reason: my phone, a no longer new T68 has a
useful sequence to lock the keyboard WHILE THE PHONE IS ON, but none
to lock it off. Indeed I have noticed it turn back on "by itself"
while it is in my pocket and under the seat belt while in my car (it
only needs a constant pressure of a few seconds on a *protruding*
button). The same thing can certainly happen on a plane either in my
jacket pocket or my bag in the overhead locker and I believe has,
several times. Does this mean that I should be responsible for
turning off my phone *and* removing the battery every time I fly?

The paper originally referred to showed clearly that the reality of
the world is that there is substantial radio emission from cellphones
and the like on commercial aircraft (wow, what a surprise!). To me
the inescapable conclusion is that aircraft:

a:      Are clearly not very susceptible to any emission from such devices,

and

b:      If "the authorities" were really interested in eliminating
any residual risk they would address the aircraft systems, since the
present "attempts" to stop the emissions at source are failing and
will clearly remain so.

In the meantime, I'll not hold my breath, and will reluctantly turn
off my phone on aircraft (not least because I don't want to sit
beside anyone else using their phones), but I won't bother to remove
my battery.

        Denis