Interesting People mailing list archives

anti-Goodmail coalition resorts to misquotes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:13:37 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () bbiw net>
Date: March 22, 2006 10:31:20 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] anti-Goodmail coalition resorts to misquotes

>    The opposition to Goodmail's
> scheme is not based on the idea that change is wrong, but rather that
> this particular idea is flawed.

Dave, et al,

Unfortunately, the opposition to the announced scheme is not sufficiently careful or constructive to permit such a benign assessment.

By way of example please consider Cindy Cohn's remarkably facile:
There are plenty of ways to do "certified" or "digitally signed" email
without having ISPs choose winners and charge per message.

Apparently Cindy has not noticed that spam and phishing have been with us for quite a long time. To date, nothing has reduced its occurrence. If the problem were so easy to fix, does she really think that we wouold already have fixed it?

Indeed there are likely to be many different techniques that are useful. Schemes are easy to describe but they are extremely difficult to make practical and even more difficult to get adopted. If it is so easy, Cindy, why haven't you promoted one and gotten it used? It turns out that the world is full of anti-spam proposals that are not practical. This has even prompted a whimsical-but-useful form to use, to explain why a proposal won't work. Take a look at <http:// craphound.com/spamsolutions.txt>.

The announced scheme applies to a specific sub-set of email: Legitimate bulk email with a high requirement for assured delivery. The opposition effort has arbitrarily chosen to exaggerate this into dire predictions for which there is no basis.

What was announced certainly describes an important change in email service, and email certainly is an important human communication tool. So it is of course reasonable to question the scheme and look for flaws and dangers. However there is a difference between asking serious questions, versus resorting to rabid hyperbole and misrepresentation.

Turning concerns into hysteria guarantees that serious public discussion about this important topic is impossible.

More than a few people believe that spam and phishing are bad things. These nasty uses of email occur in sufficient scale and with sufficient impact to affect the viability of email (and are expected to have similar effect on other services, like instant messaging.) The Bad Actors who send the nasty messages have proven to be astonishingly creative and well-organized. All the indications are that these problems are here to stay. Indeed, if we look at the behavior of these Bad Actors and then look for similarities in the bricks-and-mortar world, we find that their behavior exactly mimics that of criminals. As the Internet grew to encompass global scale and diversity, we should not have been surprised that the Dark Side appeared in cyberspace, along with everyone else. We also therefore should not expect to fully eradicate it from cyberspace, any time soon. The most we can hope for is to reduce it to tolerable levels.

How can we do that?

So far, the primary technique has been with filtering at the receiver's service. (Some larger operators also apply filters on their outbound mail.) There are two problems with filtering: One is that effective filters require constant vigilance and adaptation against new techniques; this is, effectively, an arms race with the usual implication of infinitely escalating consumption of resources. The second problem is that filters are heuristics and therefore they make errors; the worst errors are false positives that lose legitimate mail. A problem with filtering at the receive-side of the equation is that failing to stop mail from Bad Actors at its source burdens the entire Internet with the considerable overhead of carrying and detecting the bad stuff.

What we need are methods of exerting basic traffic quality control *at the source*. As Rich Kulawiec noted, some operators do do filtering at the source and some operators are quite effective at squelching questionable email. More should do so. However the task is currently rather more difficult than Rich implies and it often is impossible. For example, spammers use an army of compromised machines and can distribute their traffic to an extent that permits them to operate just under the thresholds imposed by operators, and they can otherwise tailor their traffic pattern to stay under operators' radar.

So it is not enough to look only for Bad Actors. We need to have a means of identifying and differentially handling Good Actors. We need to add a Trust Overlay to email, to focus on affirmative knowledge about Good Actors.

This will identify authors and distributors of legitimate mail, through a chain of accountability back to the source. It needs to be based on a mechanism that is safe and reliable (e.g., using digital signatures) and it needs to support using a variety of assessment (reputation) mechanisms.

These Good Actors can announce their accountability for specific pieces of mail, and the rest of the chain of email operators can make handling decisions based on that Actor's reputation. As solid accountability becomes possible, it becomes easier to identify where problem mail entered the handling chain and to squelch it at its source.

Note, however, that I said *a variety* of sources of assessment will be available. We see that variety in the bricks-and-mortar world, and there is no reason to assume that the Internet should or will be different. Email is used in many ways. A scheme that helps for one kind of use may well not be appropriate for others.

There already are efforts underway in the standards arena and the commercial sector, to pursue the development of a trust overlay. The announced scheme adds to these efforts; it will not replace them. The announced scheme pertains to third-party assessment of senders of legitimate bulk mail for which delivery is critical.

Messing with any social system warrants caution. Email certainly qualifies as a social system. So concern about the implications of making changes to email is essential. There are certain to be appropriate limits for any single scheme that is developed as part of this trust overlay. I am confident that one example is that personal mail will require something different than assured-delivery bulk mail. I am equally confident there are others.

It really would help quite a lot, to have those who are seriously concerned about the implications of change to put some effort into serious analysis and dialogue, rather than instantly jumping to polarizing hyperbole.

Email is too important and too complex to be trivialized.

d/

p.s. I discuss much of this in more detail in a recent article in The Internet Protocol Journal, at <http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac123/ ac147/archived_issues/ipj_8-4/anti-spam_efforts.html>. The issue also has a related article by John Klensin.

p.p.s. In the interest of full disclosure I should note that I am on the technical advisory board for Habeas, which is also in the reputation business. However, I do not speak for them.
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking