Interesting People mailing list archives

anti-Goodmail coalition resorts to misquotes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:54:57 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig () gmail com>
Date: March 20, 2006 2:52:43 PM EST
To: edyson () edventure com
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] anti-Goodmail coalition resorts to misquotes

From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Date: March 20, 2006 11:03:37 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Christina Koukkos <christina () release1-0 com>
Subject: anti-Goodmail coalition resorts to misquotes
<snip>
I find it ironic that many of the very people who want to teach
evolution in the schools (a position I agree with it), want to stop
it on the Internet.

You stated this previously in your column:

"What shocks me most about the opposition to Goodmail is that
people who claim to believe in the free and open Internet, with its
welcome attitude to innovation, want to shut down an idea. That's
wrong."

Not all ideas are valid, and change isn't always beneficial. I think
it's unwise to make the assumption that this is about evolution vs.
stagnation, technologically speaking. The opposition to Goodmail's
scheme is not based on the idea that change is wrong, but rather that
this particular idea is flawed. It is convenient to paint those who
have valid concerns about such a system as being opposed to innovation,
but it doesn't address those concerns, and ad hominem asides directed
at those you would wish to convince aren't helping your case.

- jt