Interesting People mailing list archives

more on How innocents can be penalized by Windows Genuine Advantage

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:12:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Matt Garland <mgarland () gmail com>
Date: June 15, 2006 9:51:57 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () sanction net, alberti () sanction net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on How innocents can be penalized by Windows Genuine Advantage

>If Windows wants to provide me with a key-changing program, I would be
>happy to try the code that came with my laptop. Maybe it will even work.

Here you go...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/c/e9c73b60-bff1-4f03-b06f- d3cbe8f8d9f4/KeyUpdateTool.exe

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/purchase/UpdateInstructions.aspx

I've used it and it worked for me with a Windows Product Key that I had from a sticker on the bottom of my laptop. Best of luck!

-matt

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Alberti <ip () sanction net>
Date: June 13, 2006 7:26:16 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] How innocents can be penalized by Windows Genuine
Advantage

Here's how my laptop got on the list:

I bought a Sony Vaio TX with a preinstalled version of Windows XP. I
discovered when I opened the box that Sony does not provide any driver
or OS DVDs with the machine - you can download all the drivers, or pay
extra for them to mail you the DVDs.

I did not like the configuration as delivered: tons of garbage demo
software that I did not want was included, and the drive was partitioned
in a manner I did not like.  So I wiped my drive and used my own
original windows XP disk to reinstall XP, including all service packs
and Sony drivers that I wanted.

I attempted to use the Windows key provided in the sticker on the bottom
of the laptop, but for reasons I do not know the key would not work with
my original version of Windows XP.  So I used the Windows XP key that
came with the disk, which I have always used for each of my laptops in
turn - laptops which I wipe with secure erasure software when I move off
of them (assuming the drives work, which is not always the case).

Maybe being installed on several laptops in turn has gotten my key onto
a list of "pirated" keys, or maybe some other criteria has failed.
Regardless, when WGA was rolled out, my laptop did not pass.

If Windows wants to provide me with a key-changing program, I would be
happy to try the code that came with my laptop. Maybe it will even work.

I'm not holding my breath.

Robert Alberti, CISSP, ISSMP
Sanction, Inc.
http://sanction.net