Interesting People mailing list archives

more on How innocents can be penalized by Windows Genuine Advantage

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 06:52:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Synthesis: Law and Technology" <synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com>
Date: June 14, 2006 9:52:18 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on How innocents can be penalized by Windows Genuine Advantage

Dave,

I suspect that these instances of legal copies being unfairly targeted will simply spur the development of ways to route around the damage, in true internet tradition. This appears to be an instance of the more general problem of what constitutes piracy, what constitutes fair use and how do holders of rights interpret enforcement? Of course Microsoft will try to aggressively attack piracy every way it can. Of course any attack that is overly agressive will unfairly target some. Should we be surprised? Should we be surprised when creative people find ways to work around this?

We saw it in the music industry where sometimes perfectly valid mp3 copies were targetted along with pirate tunes. We saw it with books. We saw it with images. Its not a problem that I see going away any time soon, since the simplest solution for people (legal and illegal) is always to route around the damage rather than turn to the court systems.

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin phone: (613) 794-5356
Chelsea, Quebec