Interesting People mailing list archives

final more on more on Andrew Tobias on Flag Burning

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:11:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: June 28, 2006 7:57:17 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on more on Andrew Tobias on Flag Burning

From: Steven Champeon <schampeo () hesketh com>
Date: June 28, 2006 6:48:24 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: NMunro () nationaljournal com

Steve,
wondering if more of them had actually served in the armed forces,
like my grandfather did, would have made any difference in what they
know about the proper care and handling and disposal of the flag.

I can't speak for veterans, but I've done my part here - I'm involved
with leading both a Boy Scout troop and a Cub Scout pack, and they all
learn an appropriate amount of proper flag ettiquette. Cub Scouts know
how to raise, lower, and fold a flag (except for the Tiger Cubs - it's
hard to find a flagpole with lanyards they can *reach* at their age),
and the Boy Scouts are expected to know things like "Where/how is the
flag hung on a wall behind or on a staff near a speaker in an auditorium?"

And with all that, I am thoroughly convinced that:

*MY* flag is strong enough to withstand burning by a few malcontents,
and doesn't need a Constitutional amendment to protect it. It's withstood enemy bombardment, civil war, military engagements (both wise and foolish)
all over the planet and survived.  A misguided person with some matches
can't do it severe harm, even if they manage to totally incinerate it.

The only thing that can harm *MY* flag is political leadership doing things that undermine what *my* flag represents. Unfortunately, that's what some leaders are doing with crass political posturing claimed to "protect" it....