Interesting People mailing list archives

more on more on Andrew Tobias on Flag Burning

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:05:52 -0400

I think this is the end for a while of this subject. djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Grawrock <cryptoref () gmail com>
Date: June 29, 2006 6:46:06 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on more on Andrew Tobias on Flag Burning

A couple of points.

First I think that burning our flag is horrible, those who do it should be conked on the head with a wet noodle, and I will pick up a rifle and defend their right to do that in a minute. The admendment is just a horrible idea.

What happens if someone burns a flag within the exclusion zone in front of an abortion clinic? Can one burn a flag outside of the "free speech" zone at a university?

Somehow we seem to be getting to the point that "my" free speech is ok, but I need to restrict "your" free speech. It is a dangerous trend when we attempt to determine the content of someones speech and make the determination that it is "bad".

Free speech is free to speak but not free from consequences. I would dare anyone to burn a German flag in Germany on Friday (win or lose for the Germans). I believe that the consequences would be dire to that individual.

David