Interesting People mailing list archives

final more on more on Andrew Tobias on Flag Burning

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:46:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>
Date: June 30, 2006 6:46:09 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: re: more on more on Andrew Tobias on Flag Burning

Dave,

Even though I'm somewhat of a radical, I would never burn the flag of
the United States, I have too much respect for the ideals it symbolizes,
and the meaning it has for so many of those folks who've fought under
it... except:

The day the U.S. Senate sends a Constitutional Amendment that bans
burning the flag onto the states, I will walk down to the town center
and with the utmost respect for the ideals it symbolizes, burn the flag
in protest - in protest of the hypocrisy and political pandering and
mis-placed priorities that the U.S. Senate has demonstrated.

The day such an amendment is ratified by the final state, I will burn a
flag and invite the local gendarmes to arrest me... and I sincerely hope
that I will be joined by many other individuals, so many, that the
absurdity of attempting to enforce such a law becomes self-evident, and
a repeal measure is quickly passed.

As a California resident, I have nothing but contempt for Senator Dianne
Feinstein's vote on this matter. She has propelled me from passive
dislike into active intent to block any and all attempts to endorse or
promote her campaign by the organizations I work with. As a
representative of an organization that participates in putting together
the local "progressive" doorhanger, I will do my best to ensure that she
not be listed on it.

To think that we came within a single vote of this being sent on to the
states is depressing beyond belief...

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt

-- Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org> - 831-295-3917
Godmoma's Forge, LLC - www.godmomasforge.com
~~~ Web and Graphic Design made spiffy ~~~

Encrypted public key at http://www.thomasleavitt.org/thomas.asc

The .asc attachment is an encrypted digital signature that can safely be ignored if your email program is not set up to process it. You may download GnuPG (including a version for Windows) at http://www.gnupg.org/download/ if you are
interested in learning more.