Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Secret U.S. Program Tracks Global Bank Transfers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:56:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Frode Hegland <frode () hegland com>
Date: June 23, 2006 2:01:32 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Secret U.S. Program Tracks Global Bank Transfers

I'm not sure I follow; do you mean win against the 'terrorists' or 'win' in the sense of continuing to live with the values we have treasured?

If you mean win against the terrorists, you will need to set a more measurable definition, do you mean kill anyone who we don't like? I'm sure you don't.

Maybe kill anyone who might want to harm Americans? You probably don't mean this either.

Or maybe even simply reduce the damage caused by terrorists below a threshold of some other measurable threat to American lives, such as automobile accidents/smoking/obesity/gun crime. Is this what you mean?

Or maybe you mean reduce the motivation for anyone to want to hurt Americans in the first place.

If you mean winning in the second sense; winning by continuing to live with the values we treasure (living in peace and with privacy), then we have already lost in some way. I think that is what the exposure of more and more erosion of liberties and privacy shows. Anyway, just my two pence worth.