Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Computing technology in our schools

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 12:27:20 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Metivier-Carreiro, Karen" <karen.metivier-carreiro () nreca coop>
Date: July 3, 2006 11:23:31 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Computing technology in our schools

*\APPLAUSE/*

As a parent that has spent two years assessing/evaluating private and
public school options for my rising-Kindergartener, I strongly agree
with Mr. Fairlie's post, at least for computer technology in lower
grades (K-3).  What I've seen happen are "donations" of computer
software for the classroom, which requires the purchase of "upgraded"
computing platforms for the classroom, which in turn requires
replacement input/output devices, which in turn requires more software
purchases, and then personnel to support the configurations.

But there's no look at how much gain there was from the initial software
"donation" in the first place.

But -- I would counter Mr. Fairlie's post in that there is not an even
distribution of "technology-aware" parents.  Yes, my son and daughter
are blessed (or perhaps it's cursed?) with a mom that bought her first
PC in 1982 (complete with two half-height 5 1/4" floppy drives and later
replaced one of the half-height floppies with a whopping 20MB hard drive
all on her own).  But in our inside-the-Beltway neighborhood in one of
the best school districts in the country, our "computing proficiency" is
very much the anomaly.  Both my daughter (almost 5) and my son (age 2.5
years) use a computer regularly.  My children already knows how to use a
mouse for opening a closing computer programs, dialog boxes, etc.  My
daughter already knows how to "check her email" (and gets frustrated by
the amount of "junk mail" in her inbox).  So she'll have a leg up on her
fellow Kindergarteners in the fall.  But I'm fairly confident that her
peers will catch up quickly thanks to computing technology in the
classroom, even if her peers do not have technology-aware parents and/or
access to a computer at home.

And to share an anecdote:  when I was in college, my physics professor
required us to use a slide rule for our Physics 101 class.  It was quite
easy for me to locate a store that sold scientific calculators at that
time -- but not the case for slide rules!

Karen
Karen A. Metivier-Carreiro
Senior Policy Analyst
Government Relations
National Rural Electric Cooperative Association
phone: 703.907.5779
fax: 703.907.5516
email: karen.metivier-carreiro () nreca coop