Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Computing technology in our schools

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 12:28:20 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Synthesis: Law and Technology" <synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com>
Date: July 3, 2006 11:30:35 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Computing technology in our schools

Dave,

As oarebt and former teacher I Could come up with plenty of anectodal evidence that goes 100% against what Tom posted.

Instead I will remind everyone of the introdution of the device that was supposed to affect students in the same way as computers are supposed to be affecting our children: the calculator.

Everyone was 'so sure' that use of the calculator would create a complete generation of kids that couldt add subtract or multiply. Did it? All the 'numbers' suggest other wise. Did the invention of the car create a generation of people who could not walk?

A little common sense seems in order. FIrst, computers are tools. If parents train their kids in the proper use of tools the kids will learn appropriately and the use of the tool will enhance the educational experience. my kids started at age 2. At that age the appropriate use is play. When the kids get older, the appropriae use is not going to places they should be in. I see no reason for parents to abdicate either of these, do you ?

Second (and perhaps more important) the issue of school size and school budget is completely orthogonal to computing. Class size near 30 for kindergarten? Sad. But does anyone honetstly think that reducing computers will magically decrease class size? It will just make the budget meeting a minute shorter. They will still be cutting. Face it. Education costs money, but our children are our most precious resource. So they are worh it.