Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Computing technology in our schools

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 12:26:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Adam Fields <ip20398470293845 () aquick org>
Date: July 3, 2006 11:23:11 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Computing technology in our schools

For IP, if you wish:

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 11:01:23AM -0400, David Farber wrote:
[...]
There's a very important issue that I'm concerned about and I'm
hoping that perhaps you or some of the IP'ers can weigh in with
their opinion.

I think I agree with everything you've said (although I lack
first-hand experience with the system as yet), and you're not alone.

I highly recommend Cliff Stoll's "High-Tech Heretic", written in 2000,
in which he makes these points, and more:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=as2&path=ASIN/ 0385489765&tag=buyadam-20&camp=1789&creative=9325

(On that note, his other writing is also quite good, and even though
it's on topic, I'm somewhat hesitant to recommend that as the first
book of his you read, because it's depressing.)

Throwing a computer into a classroom and expecting it to "teach" is
basically the same as throwing a hammer into an empty field and
expecting it to build a house.

--
                                - Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience