Interesting People mailing list archives

not what he wrote Could NY Times face a treason trial?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:42:04 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Harvey Silverglate <has () harveysilverglate com>
Date: January 24, 2006 3:25:39 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: h_bray () globe com
Subject: RE: [IP] Could NY Times face a treason trial?

Dave,
        Hiawatha Bray is not quite accurate in characterizing my Boston
Phoenix column. I did not posit that the New York Times had published news that "violated US national security." Quite the opposite - I made clear my view that the only secret unveiled in the Times story was that the President was doing unlawfully what he could easily have done lawfully. It is clear, however, from the Supreme Court's "Pentagon Papers" opinions what while a
prior restraint on publication would have been unconstitutional, a
post-publication criminal indictment of the newspaper would have been
allowed. This is the danger that faces the Times anew. I also made the point that, in my view, federal prosecutors would have a helluva hard time getting a jury to convict the Times, since verdicts require unanimity and inevitably some jurors would be more shocked at what the President did than at what the
Times chose to publish.
                                                Harvey Silverglate