Interesting People mailing list archives

Hayden on NSA program

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:11:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Larry Tesler <tesler () pobox com>
Date: January 24, 2006 3:24:02 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Hayden on NSA program

Dave,

The problem with the "softer trigger" to which General Hayden euphemistically refers is that there is never an opportunity for any court to review NSA's judgment that their suspicions were "reasonable".

Nobody wants NSA to fail to detect and prevent a terror attack. But history shows that intelligent agencies have often spied on nonviolent groups and individuals who merely disagreed with some of their government's policies.

In the '50s, J. Edgar Hoover had "reasonable belief" that the people he wiretapped were "communist sympathizers"; in the '60s, "black revolutionaries". In this decade, NSA only has to "believe them to be connected with terrorists". (Riddle: How many degrees of separation does it take to be unconnected with terrorists? Answer: Seven.)

Sometimes, the agencies are right that the people they spy on are conspiring to break laws. Often, they are wrong, and the rights of innocent people are violated. The FISA court exists to provide a second opinion.

I find it worrisome that the people who are rationalizing warrantless wiretaps are the same people who rationalized torture of innocents and indefinite imprisonment without charges. What do they have in store for us next?

Larry Tesler

Begin forwarded message: