Interesting People mailing list archives

More on Hayden on NSA program

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:12:55 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Weitzner [mailto:djweitzner () csail mit edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:37 AM
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ip; Tim Finin
Subject: (for IP) Re: [IP] More on Hayden on NSA program

Hi Dave and Tim,

Applying 4th Amendment principles is generally a puzzle. This
situation is even more complex because the Administration seems to be
arguing that most of the statutory rules that usually apply (FISA,
Wiretap Act) just don't. So there are really two questions:
-can the Administration program avoid FISA?
-if so, is it permissible under the 4th Amendment?

Most of the arguments from the Administration have focused on the
first part of this question -- do the statutes apply? By going to the
substance of the 4th Amedment, Hayden re-opens a lot of settled
questions about wiretapping. In particular, if it's the case that the
surveillance was conducted in order to discover patterns of activity,
rather than get at communications of people already under sufficient
suspicion to justify a probably cause warrant or a FISA order, then
we have to get in the question of the 4th amendment status of pattern
detection. Some people characterize this a fishing expedition. I
think that there are interesting parallels with suspicionless
searches such as roadblocks. A recent case on this subject,
Indianapolis v. Edmonds, 531 U.S. 32 (2000) illuminates some of the
issues Tim raises:

"The Fourth Amendment requires that searches and seizures be
reasonable.  A search or seizure is ordinarily unreasonable in the
absence of individualized suspicion of wrongdoing.... While such
suspicion is not an "irreducible" component of reasonableness,  we
have recognized only limited circumstances in which the usual rule
does not apply."

The court in Edmonds struck down an Indianapolis policy department
practice of erecting roadblock that randomly stop drivers to check
for illegal drugs. Though random checks to stop immediate driving-
related hazards such as drunk driving had previously been approved,
the Court here rejected the illegal drug roadblock because the Fourth
Amendment does not allow "suspicionless searches" except in "special
circumstances." Ordinary crime control is not a special circumstance,
but the Supreme Court went on to say:

"...the Fourth Amendment would almost certainly permit an
appropriately tailored roadblock set up to ***thwart an imminent
terrorist attack*** or to catch a dangerous criminal who is likely to
flee by way of a particular route.  See 183 F. 3d, at 662-663.  The
exigencies created by these scenarios are far removed from the
circumstances under which authorities might simply stop cars as a
matter of course to see if there just happens to be a felon leaving
the jurisdiction.  While we do not limit the purposes that may
justify a checkpoint program to any rigid set of categories, we
decline to approve a program whose primary purpose is ultimately
indistinguishable from the general interest in crime
control." (emphasis added)

How does this rule on physical searches of cars (which have largely
lost their 4th Amendment protection) apply to electronic
surveillance? I'm sure we hear a lot about this from all sides.

Danny