Interesting People mailing list archives

on press laziness more on The speech is on line . -- Gore Speech on C-Span, Monday, 12 pm ET

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:26:36 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: h_bray () globe com
Date: January 16, 2006 7:19:54 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] on press laziness more on The speech is on line . -- Gore Speech on C-Span, Monday, 12 pm ET

Speaking as a journo, I can perhaps provide input as to why this speech
isn't getting more coverage.

First, blame the Internet.  I mean that the Internet is one of the
influences that's slashing into newspaper advertising, thus cutting our
budgets.  As a result, papers are reducing their home-grown coverage of
many issues, and relying on wires instead.

Second, why would the media give more than a passing plug to a speech by an ex-Veep? Not even an ex-POTUS, mind you, but an ex-Veep? When's the last
time you saw a front page story about the latest declamation of Walter
Mondale? I mean, really. Veeps are usually not all that newsworthy when
they're in power.  When they're out, they generally merit a shrug.

Third, there's the "we've heard this before" factor.  Al Gore has been
delivering "major" speeches denouncing the Bush administration on a fairly
regular basis  First time out, I do think he got a fair amount of
attention. Even an ex-Veep can draw some cameras when he really tees off on his successors--the first time. These days, it's gotten old. Old Al
needs a new schtick. Challenging Dick Cheney to a pie-eating contest,
perhaps.

Hiawatha Bray