Interesting People mailing list archives

on press laziness more on The speech is on line . -- Gore Speech on C-Span, Monday, 12 pm ET

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:54:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Sean C. Sheridan" <scs () CampusClients com>
Date: January 16, 2006 5:43:21 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on The speech is on line . -- Gore Speech on C- Span, Monday, 12 pm ET

Where have all the reporters gone?

It didn't dawn on me until I started to search for coverage of Vice
President Gore's energetic speech that news outlets no longer author the
news, they all get it from the AP... I guess it's time to stop watching
the evening news.

http://abcnews.go.com/  includes a little hyperlink in the politics
section to "Gore Assails Domestic Wiretapping Program".

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/home/main100.shtml buries the link in
essentially the same place, way down on the politics page. Headline reads
"Gore Assails Domestic Wiretap Program".

NBC hasn't bothered including a link to the story as their "news" page
seems  more concerned with headshots of the "anchors".

At least Google News leads with the story. The speech is, right now, the
top story on Google News.  Though Google also uses the headline "Gore
Assails Domestic Wiretapping Program".

So not only are we not going to get any coverage on this enormously
important speech, we're also not going to get anybody's view except that
of the original AP author  LARRY MARGASAK who's article is reproduced
without content editing.  Larry wrote the article entitled "Gore Assails
Domestic Wiretapping Program".  And he got it wrong.

The speech was about the recent shift in power away from the
constitutionally prescribed three headed government to the current
administrations interpretation of a kingdom.  Gore pointed to the newly
weakened Supreme Court (Alito prefers a strong executive branch) and the
fact that, unlike his fathers congress, the current congress seems to
think they work for the White House.

Don't believe the hype, this speech was about quite a bit more than the
Presidents current gaff of spying on Americans.

Sean C. Sheridan
scs () CampusClients com

Campus Party, Inc.
201 Spring Garden St.