Interesting People mailing list archives

approve:sagapo Are we letting the military off the hook?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:18:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Morris <jim.morris () west cmu edu>
Date: August 27, 2006 7:13:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Are we letting the military off the hook?

The story seems to be set: Civilian leadership caused the Iraq fiasco, and the military-- from the grunts up through the generals-- are trying to serve us well. I believe our military is better than the civilian at planning wars, and I bet they are also better at spin.

Bush/Cheney said "Bomb Iran," and the military refused and staged a coup, how many citizens would object?

About a week ago I heard a retired general (maybe Barry McCaffrey) suggest that the four-stars in the Pentagon also failed us in not fighting bad decisions. It was the first whisper of criticism I've heard.

James H. Morris
Professor of Computer Science
Dean, Carnegie Mellon West
412 609-5000