Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Silliness in Action: California Poised for Cell Phone Ban

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:13:39 -0400

I second this djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: August 27, 2006 7:00:23 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] approve:sagapo more on more on Silliness in Action: California Poised for Cell Phone Ban

But banning cell phones throws out the baby with the bathwater. There's a huge range of distraction in cell phone calls -- from, say, "I'm at the stoplight a block away, come out of the building to the curb so I can pick you up" to, say, negotiating custody in your divorce or attempting to discuss with your teenager why driving around all night with a carload of friends is not such a hot idea.

I don't use a cell phone much while driving -- just for short, timely communication or for coordination. And I don't have any trouble at all saying "I can't talk any more now" and putting the phone down or hanging up.

I'm on the side of penalizing the bad behavior, not all the possible behaviors that might turn out badly.

Mary Shaw