Interesting People mailing list archives

Gripes From Skype Users After eBay Buy-Out

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:11:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: September 19, 2005 11:34:50 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Gripes From Skype Users After eBay Buy-Out

[Note:  This item comes from reader Steve Schear.  DLH]

From: Steve Schear <s.schear () comcast net>
Date: September 19, 2005 3:29:28 PM PDT
To: dewayne-net () warpspeed com
Subject: Gripes From Skype Users After eBay Buy-Out

Gripes From Skype Users After eBay Buy-Out
By  Reuters
September 13, 2005

LONDON (Reuters) eBay's acquisition of Skype could be worth up to $4.1 billion to investors in the Internet telephony start-up, but it is getting mixed reviews from Skype's fervent supporters.

It was the hard-core Skype fans whose word-of-mouth advertising helped it become the world's largest voice over Internet protocol (VOIP) provider without spending a penny on marketing. It has some 54 million registered users and usually has more than 3.5 million people online.

But the sale to eBay could signal the end of the evangelical zeal from users that drove Skype's rapid growth. Its software which offers free computer-to-computer calls between Skype users has spread in classic viral fashion, as each new user convinces friends and family to sign up.

In a poll on the forums, 69 percent of users said the acquisition is not a good thing, compared with 23 percent in favor of the deal.

"In my opinion, the takeover by eBay means to me possibly and probably the end of free Skype services. I anticipate a very bad future for us here but I sincerely hope I am wrong," the Skype user Alan2 wrote on Monday. Users also raised concerns that the purchase of the Luxembourg-based Skype by a U.S. company could mean new legal constraints on the service.

More at: <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1858664,00.asp>

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>