Interesting People mailing list archives

WashPost: FBI hunts for folks worse than terrorists....

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:15:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Lesher <wb8foz () nrk com>
Date: September 20, 2005 8:41:32 AM EDT
To: farber () cis upenn edu (David Farber)
Subject: WashPost: FBI hunts for folks worse than terrorists....

Recruits Sought for Porn Squad
By Barton Gellman Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, September 20, 2005; A21

The FBI is joining the Bush administration's War on Porn. And
it's looking for a few good agents.

Early last month, the bureau's Washington Field Office began
recruiting for a new anti-obscenity squad.  Attached to the
job posting was a July 29 Electronic Communication from FBI
headquarters to all 56 field offices, describing the initiative as
"one of the top priorities" of Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales
and, by extension, of "the Director." That would be FBI Director
Robert S. Mueller III.

The new squad will divert eight agents, a supervisor and assorted
support staff to gather evidence against "manufacturers and
purveyors" of pornography -- not the kind exploiting children,
but the kind that depicts, and is marketed to, consenting adults.

"I guess this means we've won the war on terror," said
one exasperated FBI agent, speaking on the condition of
anonymity because poking fun at headquarters is not regarded
as career-enhancing. "We must not need any more resources for
espionage."

Among friends and trusted colleagues, an experienced national
security analyst said, "it's a running joke for us."

A few of the printable samples:

"Things I Don't Want On My Résumé, Volume Four."

"I already gave at home."

"Honestly, most of the guys would have to recuse themselves."

Federal obscenity prosecutions, which have been out of style since
Attorney General Edwin Meese III in the Reagan administration
made pornography a signature issue in the 1980s, do "encounter
many legal issues, including First Amendment claims," the FBI
headquarters memo noted.