Interesting People mailing list archives

more on How we got it wrong on Calling-Number ID [RISKS] Risks Digest 24.05

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:29:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: October 2, 2005 7:02:48 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: 'Brad Templeton' <brad () templetons com>, Hiawatha Bray <h_bray () globe com> Subject: RE: [IP] more on How we got it wrong on Calling-Number ID [RISKS] Risks Digest 24.05

Notice how much this parallels the DNS. At the same time the ITU is
insisting that ENUM meets their high standards for security.

It's a bit more difficult to see this with the DNS because as the many
message show -- there's a lot invested in the current DNS as people build
upon the simplistic assumption that someone is taking care of the hard
problems and now we can have business and mechanisms that take advantage of the names in the DNS. To the extent it doesn't seem to quite work we hope a
few tweaks will solve the problems.

We see this less with Caller-ID because it's so limited and the simple end point devices can't do much beyond block/nonblock. But sticking with that
assumption means we can't take advantage of the text messaging channel
rather than having to answer a "ring". Caller-ID doesn't even make it
across many network boundaries and the name is actually a reverse lookup
and not necessarily data. On a cell phone it looks it up in your address
book using a dumb algorithm.

I'll also respond to Hiawatha's question about what does it mean for Europe to take control. It's a good question because "control of what". Here too, we see piling on as if there were something real and intrinsic. Controlling
the DNS is seen as controlling the magic names that define the Internet.
Notice how often it's called "The Web" not The Internet because it's about
commerce and meaning not technology.

I realize my "beyond DNS" letter was opaque or too easily misinterpreted. Explaining all the concepts requires far more than most would want to read.
So I'll try to stick to pointing out obvious absurdities while simply
noting that we don't have to use bad mechanisms because there are better
approaches. The reason we cling to what seems to work is what we want to
believe it works and thus look for confirmation rather than critical
examination.