Interesting People mailing list archives

more on I AGREE djf more on Locked In a Cell: How Cell Phone Early Termination Fees Hurt Consumers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 06:46:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: October 23, 2005 11:40:26 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: 'Gerry Faulhaber' <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on I AGREE djf more on Locked In a Cell: How Cell Phone Early Termination Fees Hurt Consumers

I started to answer the question -- but ultimately it's like asking how
many angels can own property on the head of a pin and whether they can get
better prices on another pin.

The answer to the "plan questions" is very simple -- monthly or per- minute prices are very much higher -- it's like choosing between paying 50% daily
interest or getting locked into a long term plan.

This isn't a real marketplace -- it's a game that doesn't allow effective decision making -- you are placing long term bets on what is less bad over
a long term period. It has no relationship to actual costs.

You don't really buy minutes or any unit like that since you can't trade
them or store them. You are buying expensive options from a company that
controls the game. You can't choose your own equipment -- it's as if you
had a buy your car from a gas company and use their gas.

But, ultimately, this is a silly argument since the fundamental economics
of funding identical infrastructures that maintain their value by
preventing users from doing handoffs is no different from having five
electrical power companies with their own wires and requiring your
flashlight use the electricity from your carrier.

For that matter why is there this concept of "number portability" -- why
can't we simply have ownership rights on the "numbers". All of the old
arguments for limiting portability are based on 1980's (really 1930's)
hardware in phone switches and we now map 100% of the phone numbers -- even
cheaper if we used ENUM with DNS technologies.

The fact that spectrum allocation is a violation of the first amendment
based on pseudoscience just adds another layer of absurdity to this.

Fighting over cell plans is like fighting over who will own you in the
absence of the idea of freedom.

Can anyone give me a rational reason for this whole fake marketplace other
than profound and inexcusable ignorance in a lawyertocracy?

A combination of low energy packet relaying with encryption and
edge-maintained relationships will reduce the economic value of this whole
system to zero (wired and wireless). Instead of worrying about the small
value of the cell plans, worry about all your money being put into buying infrastructure that cannot retain value in the face of the kind of little protocol tweaks I did with home networking to kill the residential gateway.

As an aside, I was at http://www.poptech.org and the last panel was a
discussion among people from various African countries talking about using
technology. One example -- after the panel I spoke to the former
communications minister of Ghana and he understands this -- the cellular
build out is wonderful but he understand how meshing technologies are the
next step. During the conference I told the few unaware about Skype ...

These are simple ideas and you can't defend against simple ideas.