Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Phone, Cable Firms Rein In Consumers' Internet Use

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 06:45:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date: October 23, 2005 7:30:23 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Phone, Cable Firms Rein In Consumers' Internet Use

People who make comments like the one I have excerpted below miss the point. Bittorrent actually helps these operators by smoothing the bandwidth consumed by downloading distros and video and actually make the network apparently faster for those same users!

Are such comments due to ignorance or mendaciousness? By now I have come to believe the latter.

I think these guys just can't get comfortable with the idea that their customers might sometime benefit without paying a premium for the privilege.

-d