Interesting People mailing list archives

Is there any right to privacy?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:49:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Date: October 16, 2005 8:53:09 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Is there any right to privacy?

Driving a taxi in a major metropolitan area is a dangerous occupation. The drivers don't know anything about the fares they pick up, but they are often required by law to pick up any fare -- no matter how suspicious or disreputable they appear. Then they are supposed to drive them somewhere, that may be an abandoned area or one with armed confederates. In most cities they are seldom separated from their passengers or the street by bullet-proof partitions -- and large caliber handguns shoot right through the seat back. (Heck, some knives or ice picks go right through, too.) The cab company charges a fairly high premium for the cab rental, and the driver needs to pay for gasoline out of his/her pocket. Drivers also generally need to fund their own insurance and retirement plans. Their margin can be thin, or negative on bad days or when gas is expensive. Throw in a robbery, someone using a stolen credit card, or someone who jumps without paying, and the driver may be in the red for days. It is not a particularly wonderful occupation.

If I were a cab driver, having a camera in place with a reasonably visible sign to that effect might make me feel a little more confident and might make some potential robbers a little less hesitant. They could have clandestine cameras without a notice, but that doesn't serve to deter the robbers and people who are going to cut and run without paying the meter.

Of course, that says nothing about what else is done with the pictures. If they are kept indefinitely or regularly turned over to law enforcement with a warrant, I would find that disturbing. However, I do not begrudge the taxi drivers seeking some additional security for themselves.

One solution is to have a visible, posted policy about retention and distribution (if any) of those photos. Having policy compliance audited in some way would be good, too -- something that the cab commission in the individual cities could pursue.

Of course, you can always rent a private car, take the bus, walk, or seek a cab without a camera. But don't be so quick to condemn the cabbies who are trying to make a living and stay unhurt in the process. They probably don't understand the privacy concerns, just as many reading this list probably haven't experienced the dangers of driving a cab in a major city.