Interesting People mailing list archives

more on American dominance of the Internet, redux

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:43:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Lynch <dan () lynch com>
Date: October 16, 2005 6:29:39 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on American dominance of the Internet, redux

Esther has it right: what we have with ICANN is the best we could hope for -- a slightly illegitimate overseer of some technical functions that make the Internet glue stick when it should stick. Jon Postel used to do that just fine, but he died and we knew that day would eventually come and we all knew Jon was a benign dictator with a huge intellect and no committee could ever replace his wisdom. So, as Esther suggests, leaving it twisting in the
wind is good for all of us ordinary Netizens.

Dan