Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Westchester to ban unsecured wireless?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:05:36 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Huggins <jhuggins () kettering edu>
Date: November 7, 2005 10:12:31 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: Westchester to ban unsecured wireless?

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, David Farber wrote:

Westchester County, NY, is thinking of banning unsecured wireless
base stations:

http://news.com.com/Unsecured+Wi-Fi+would+be+outlawed+by+N.Y.+county/
2100-7351_3-5934194.html

Although a nice sentiment, I think it is actually unlikely to help
security in any significant way -- it seems like a pretty bad idea,
frankly.

In a very weird sort of way, this almost makes sense.  See the following
article from Computerworld:

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/ 0,10801,105936,00.html

stated that regulatory compliance is the primary reason they upgrade
security on their systems ... not the threat of malware.

I can almost see the logic in that sort of response. There's never enough
money to do the kind of security upgrades you want to do, unless (a) you
have a major security breach, or (b) the lawyers come around and tell you
that you must do the upgrade.

So, in a weird way, Westchester County is giving IT managers a weapon to
use to make sure that their companies do what they should've been doing
all along in the first place ...

--Jim Huggins, Kettering University, Flint, MI