Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Trying to Plug the Analog Hole -- An Exercise in Futility

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:30:53 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: November 2, 2005 11:54:26 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: 'Lauren Weinstein' <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Trying to Plug the Analog Hole -- An Exercise in Futility

Apologies for getting a bit philosophical on this but I think it's useful to build on the "spite" point because it has far reaching policy implications. It also helps understand the appeal of strict enforcement by the police vs an emphasis on civil liberties.

If you believe people only behave out of fear of punishment than clamping down makes sense. But so does evading the rules -- it's necessary to make the rigid system work!

I argue that such systems are ultimately dysfunction because they are zero summed -- you are behaving because of what you can lose, not what you can gain.

The more powerful dynamic is based on the notion that you are part of a common purpose and have something to gain by contributing. Of course dynamic systems have risk – just like dynamic memory does in a computer (bad digital analogy?)

Our social systems aren't perfect and I am not arguing for altruism – perhaps the opposite -- participation. Lauren’s point is telling -- strict rules not only breed resentment but also make evasion necessary.

Our language for describing dynamic systems is very new, thanks to computing, and even then there is still a tendency to look for rigid algorithms. It's far easier to describe static systems which tend to be more comforting in their certainty.

It's really an illusion of certainty and at the price of disallowing discovery and innovation. Unfortunately its appeal is evident out in today's politics and the abhorrence of the idea that we've evolved out of such uncertainty.