Interesting People mailing list archives

more on SBC hints at charge to Web publishers By Frank Barnako, MarketWatch

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:30:28 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Lee <robertslee () verizon net>
Date: November 2, 2005 11:16:54 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] SBC hints at charge to Web publishers By Frank Barnako, MarketWatch

Two or three years ago SBC sent letters to thousands of small businesses
that used frames in their web pages that SBC had invented frames and
that the businesses should begin paying SBC royalties or face law suits.

I don't know where this campaign wound up.  An IP attorney friend of
mine wrote to me that this is a ploy used by unethical large
corporations to see if they can set a precedent using undercapitalized
stoolie businesses that do not have the wherewithal to fight a large
corporation.  If they can get enough people paying then the idea is that
they can use that as corroboration of their claim.