Interesting People mailing list archives

Do read Bruces article Real Story of the Rogue Rootkit]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:29:20 -0500

Do read  Bruces article Here is an piece:

But much worse than not detecting it before Russinovich's discovery was the deafening silence that followed. When a new piece of malware is found, security companies fall over themselves to clean our computers and inoculate our networks. Not in this case.

McAfee didn't add detection code <http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_136855.htm> until Nov. 9, and as of Nov. 15 it doesn't remove the rootkit, only the cloaking device. The company admits on its web page that this is a lousy compromise. "McAfee detects, removes and prevents reinstallation of XCP." That's the cloaking code. "Please note that removal will not impair the copyright-protection mechanisms installed from the CD. There have been reports of system crashes possibly resulting from uninstalling XCP." Thanks for the warning.

Symantec's response to the rootkit has, to put it kindly, evolved. At first the company didn't consider XCP malware at all. It wasn't until Nov. 11 that Symantec posted a tool to remove the cloaking. As of Nov. 15, it is still wishy-washy about it, explaining <http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/securityrisk.aries.html> that "this rootkit was designed to hide a legitimate application, but it can be used to hide other objects, including malicious software."