Interesting People mailing list archives

Wal-Mart threatens employees: Don't see the Wal-Mart Movie

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:15:20 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Date: November 13, 2005 8:39:02 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Wal-Mart threatens employees: Don't see the Wal-Mart Movie

Dave:

For IP, if you'd like.

Josh Thompson, president of a left-leaning political group on the University of Wyoming campus, was distributing handbills for a screening of the movie "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price" when one of the women to whom he gave a handbill mentioned that she worked for Wal-Mart. "All the more reason for you to come and see this important film," said Thompson. "I can't," replied the employee. "Management will be attending this screening, and if any Wal-Mart employee is seen by them attending any screening, we've been told that we will be fired."

Apparently, the controversial documentary -- which has received rave reviews from several media outlets -- is so worrisome to Wal-Mart that they've threatened employees with termination if they so much as see it.

Regardless of your political stance or affiliation, it should give you pause that any corporation would try to exert control over employees' media choices outside of working hours, don't you think?

--Brett Glass