Interesting People mailing list archives

Great Society

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:30:33 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim O'Donnell <cassiodorus () gmail com>
Date: November 13, 2005 5:22:01 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Great Society

Dave, only one comment:

As Irving Krystoll says in Power of Nightmares, the Liberals have
no explanation as to why President Johnson and RAND did not produce
a Great Society and End Poverty.  They also have no apologies for
their failures.

Sorry, but if you ask me to trade the society we've got for the one
LBJ inherited in 1963, I'll take this one anyday.  Poverty has not
been Ended, but extraordinary improvement has occurred in access to
health care for the elderly and the poor, education, nutritional
support, early childhood education, not to say access to the ballot
bax and equality of opportunity for minorities and women.  I'd call
this a Pretty Damned Good Society most of the time, even when I'm
getting steamed or depressed at its continuing failures.  Kristol's
intellectual running dog lackeys are the ones writing laws (see the
Krugman piece you just sent) designed to make sure that progress is
limited or rolled back.  They don't apologize much either, far as I've
noticed.

Jim O'Donnell