Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Tech: A 'hostile environment' for US natives????

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 17:53:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

My hackles raised at this summation of what "older employees" have to offer as skills. My husband, who comes from -- yes -- a COBOL background from working at programming some of the very early ATM software for the-company-that-was-Mellon-Bank, then later working for AIG up here in New Hampshire fits your profile.

Except that he =did= update his programming language skills.

And is a published writer and an accomplished nonfiction & fiction editor, working freelance for most of the major publishers in the U.S. (and has edited some of the New York Times bestsellers that honestly belonged on the bestseller list in these last few years). Language skills are not exactly lacking on his part. He's worked with me as a part of my book production company since 1989 and went full time with me in 1999 out of necessity. We both work freelance -- not exactly a great way to pay the bills, but the English language is (as younger people would say) our bitch.

He hasn't been able to get a software programming job since he was laid off in 1999. Why?

His age. Plain and simple. He just turned 50, and is (unofficially, since of course ageism isn't kosher in the hiring process) told he "wouldn't fit in" with the younger employees and working under the younger managers at companies.

Pardon my French, so to speak, but -- language skills lacking, *my ass.*

--Nancy

Nancy C. Hanger, director
  Windhaven Press: Consulting & Editorial Services
     *on-line & on-paper since 1986*
              www.windhaven.com