Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Tech: A 'hostile environment' for US natives????

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 08:42:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Guy Hummel <ghummel () shaw ca>
Date: May 10, 2005 10:24:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Tech: A 'hostile environment' for US natives????

Many people think that it's inevitable that nearly all US IT jobs will disappear, but you may be interested to hear about the rather different experiences in my company. I am the CEO of a small startup ASP / software company based in Calgary, Canada. As you can imagine, we are extremely cost conscious, especially since I started the company in 2000 and had to survive the tech wreck without significant outside investment and with almost no revenue for the first few years. Nevertheless, we have not outsourced any of our work outside of North America.

Recently, we needed to outsource a portion of our Help Desk, one of the most common tasks picked up by Indian firms. I talked to Wipro, the largest outsourcing firm in India, and decided that their price was too high. I know that this may be hard to believe, but we ended up outsourcing to a US company! We also needed some custom software development for one of our clients and again we made an arrangement with another US software company. Are we crazy or just stupid? Well, it's possible, but our company is experiencing triple digit growth rates and is quite profitable.

When I look at the various parties in our value chain, there don't seem to be any countries that are truly winners or losers. Canada benefits because our company is headquartered here. The US benefits because we have outsourced some of our work to US companies, but also because our US customers (almost all of our customers are in the US) are increasing their revenues and cutting their costs as a result of using our services. One fairly large software company in Silicon Valley reported increasing its training revenues by 38% after implementing our system. Since almost all of their instructors are in the US, this revenue increase should result in new US jobs being created. Most of our partners are also based in the US and they are reaping the rewards of reselling our solution. We even expect India to benefit because we are partnering with a reseller in India who is going to sell our software to Indian outsourcing companies.

Perhaps our company is an anomaly, but then again, maybe it's not.