Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FCC VoIP 911 order

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 06:13:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brad Templeton <btm () templetons com>
Date: May 22, 2005 9:36:08 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: gumby () henkel-wallace org, N3jmm () aol com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on FCC VoIP 911 order

From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Consider this implementation: the FCC mandates the following: every
DHCP client sold must accept a new location identifier.  Every
commercial VOIP phone or service must get this info and pass it on
for E911 use.  Every commercial dhcp server (e.g. in your cheapo
"cable router" box) ISP would be required to get this info from the
ISP (they have that info already anyway) and pass it onto its own
dhcp clients.  Public access providers (e.g. libraries and cafe
hotspot operators) would be required to upgrade; the rest of us would
just do it automatically, accept for those of us who build our own
gear, relay our traffic over encrypted tunnels, etc.

Your proposal is very similar to the one I blogged earlier at:

    http://ideas.4brad.com/archives/000203.html

However, it need not be mandated so strongly.  It would just be a way
for devices to ask their geographic location from the server (DHCP) which
already exists to tell them things about their LAN and themselves.  This
would be the preferred route, but VoIP providers could offer as a backup
the thing they currently do -- providing a UI for the user to input
an address, which would be used if the devices does not provide one.

Thus the DHCP servers are not mandated to do anything under the law,
they just are _able_ to do so, and thus be better than the ad-hoc
backup approach already in use.   The reason this is important is
privacy.  The VoIP provider method, or any global ISP method, creates
a giant database of people's locations, and indeed of their locations
as they roam! The VoIP provider, using the ad-hoc method, gets a possible
log of everywhere you've declared yourself for emergency service calls.

My approach (and yours) put the decision in the endpoint, with a backup
in the central servers only if the endpoint is unable to provide the
data.   The current systems used by VoIP providers will in fact, not be
likely to be updated as to your location when you go into a starbucks or
hotel or even move from home to office, and so are a worse choice except
as a last line.

In fact, the proposal I draft goes further.  A DHCP server, if secured
to do so, could in fact tell you where to call for "911". Ie. at a company
it could be company security with a fallback to a PSAP.

You do need some security on all of this, however, to avoid attacks where people fake out DCHP to lie to you about where you are -- this is already
a vulnerability when not on a trusted network.

There is another middle system as well, DNS LOC, but that identifies the
location of domains, not networks, and is commonly public, not private.

It is important that the FCC E911/VoIP manadate not become a complete
roaming tracking database on users, and that instead your location only
be revealed when you wish it to.   Indeed, even if you wish to call 911
without revealing your location, that should be possible.