Interesting People mailing list archives

more on BitTorrent Facilitating Illegal File Swapping of Star Wars On Day of Opening

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 06:10:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: May 23, 2005 1:02:27 AM EDT
To: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Cc: lynn () ecgincc com, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on BitTorrent Facilitating Illegal File Swapping of Star Wars On Day of Opening

On May 22, 2005, at 8:11 AM, Lauren Weinstein wrote:

I find this scenario regarding the new "Star Wars" film unlikely in
the extreme.  Do we seriously believe that there was some sort of
problem for Lucasfilm in terms of not getting enough free PR "buzz"
and income potential for the film, without secretly releasing a
"pirate" copy?  The media has been saturated with "Star Wars" for
weeks, if not months!  Let's try to keep the conspiracy meter within
reasonable bounds.

I would agree with you notion of keeping the conspiracy meter dialed down except for several curious things about the workprint that appeared on the Darknet. They are:

o The workprint came out in DVD format. You could take the file and burn it directly to a DVD. This is not usually the case for 'pre- release' films like this that show up on the Darknet.

o The workprint was processed to downgrade its resolution and aspect ratio. By this I mean is was not the quality that you would expect from a true workprint. The aspect ratio was also 4:3 instead of the normal 16:9 for a print like this. A workprint that was simply stolen would have been full rez and aspect ratio.

o The workprint showed up on the Darknet about 12 hours before the first midnight showing of the film last Wed. night. Just enough time for a reasonable number of copies to be downloaded and the word to get out to the Darknet community that the film was available.

So, like I said, nothing conclusive enough to label it a deliberate move by Lucasfilm to build buzz for the film, etc., but enough to at least raise my eyebrows a bit.

-- Dewayne