Interesting People mailing list archives

more on In-flight cellphone proposal hits static [the real issue!]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:07:43 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: June 17, 2005 8:50:08 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on In-flight cellphone proposal hits static [the real issue!]

Let's not forget that the 9/11 hijackers didn't use in-flight, cross- plane, air-to-ground communications to make their actions a rousing success. Bob is dead-on here about the ignorance of reality continuing to be demonstrated
by our Fatherland Security -- er, Department of Hysterical Security --
planners.

It continues to demonstrate that they are not only fighting the "last war" and defending against the "last attack" at the expense of thinking outside the box to help prevent future ones, but don't understand technology or the
adversary's mindset and capabilities.

Low-tech will ALWAYS be more successful form of attack against a high- tech opponent. Low-tech is an assymentrical method used against an enemy who's dependent on hi-tech to perform. Low-tech adversaries aren't caught mired in the convenience and complacency that high-tech entices and creates in the minds of those wielding it, and are much more adaptable to changing times
and situations than the high-tech folks.

Will banning cellphones on flights increase security and prevent terrorists
from talking? Hardly.

Remember the tactics used by retired Marine General Riper during the recent
"Millenium Challenge" exercise by the Pentagon....he played the role of
terrorists, and knowing that the US would use high-tech
surveillance/monitoring/jamming of communications, he resorted to bike
messengers and "old fashioned" ways of communication to coordinate his
attack.  Long story short -- his team (the bad guys) "won" -- but the
exercise planners ended up "re-floating" half of the 'good guys" Navy
because he was TOO effective and it was incomprehensible that he (eg, a
low-tech adversary) could be so successful against "THE" American military.

It's clear that there's a lot of hubris, ego, and conventional wisdom at
work here in what's undeniably a dynamic security environment and one that's
most foreign to our government and military planners who are forced to
operate within it.

-rick
Infowarrior.org