Interesting People mailing list archives

more on In-flight cellphone proposal hits static [the real issue!]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 05:15:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John S. Quarterman" <jsq () quarterman org>
Date: June 17, 2005 10:45:50 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "John S. Quarterman" <jsq () quarterman org>
Cc: Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on In-flight cellphone proposal hits static [the real issue!]

If the real issue is loud cell phone users on airplanes,
how is this different from boomboxes on buses?
Way back when portable stereos were first available,
a few people would take them on buses turned way up.
Passengers and metro bus companies got tired of that quick,
and nowadays if anybody does it they get shushed.
And nobody complains of ipods on buses.

If the issue is people *talking* on cell phones, I don't see the point.
The last flight I was on, the couple next to me didn't
stop talking or jostling the seat the entire flight.
This was without any electronic mediation.

On the other hand, I do like sleeping on airplanes once
my laptop battery runs down, and good connectivity will
make it harder for me to justify doing that.

-jsq